Friday, April 29, 2011

Thoughts On Patriots Draft


DP labeled the Patriots as "losers" in the first day of the draft, and in many ways I think he is right, but after thinking about it for awhile, I think I am starting see a strategy and if what I am thinking is true I really like it.

I am not going to sit here and tell you I know the first thing about offensive lineman, and that includes the ones in the NFL. The only time I notice them is when they get toasted and Brady is laying dead on the field. So, there first pick filled a need, because Light is most likely gone, and they are getting very thin up front.

The Patriots traded their 2nd pick, which turned out to be Ingram. I like Ingram, but here is what I think the Patriots are looking to do in the 2nd round, which they now have 3 picks in.

- Their first pick I actually think they are going to trade. There are rumors the Bengals were desperately trying to move up into Green Bay's spot (last pick 1st round), so it stands to reason that they might try the same with the Patriots (1st pick 2nd round). This is especially true because the Bills pick right before the Bengals, which is another team that could grab a QB. If that's true the Patriots could have yet another first round pick in next year along with another pick in this years draft.

- With the other picks I see two things happening. They Patriots will draft their pass rushing OLB/DE, which could be someone like Brooks Reed, Akeem Ayers, or Bowers. Any of these players I could justify going in the 1st round and would be happy to have on the squad.

- The other pick they will make will be RB Mikel Leshoure, or Ryan Williams. Also, both of these guys I would be fine with, and some people actually like Leshoure more then Ingram. I don't know if I would take it that far, but I do like him.

All of this is obviously speculation, but if they were able to do these three things today you would quickly have to say the Patriots had one of the better drafts in the NFL.

No comments:

Post a Comment