Thursday, April 28, 2011

Ference To Be Suspended? (UPDATED)


"Defenseman Andrew Ference of the Boston Bruins could face supplemental discipline from the NHL following contact with Montreal Canadiens forward Jeff Halpern during Wednesday's Game 7. Nick Kypreos of Rogers Sportsnet:

"Word out of beantown is Bruins Ference blindside hit on Canadiens Halpern will lead to a suspension. NHL hearing is scheduled for Thurs."

The disciplinary hearing via phone is set for 11am. And although Bob McKenzie doesn't like the hit, the TSN analyst concedes the Bruins d-man does have an argument:

"Would imagine Ference's defence will be he never saw Halpern. Hearing doesn't guarantee suspension but league obviously didn't like it (ESPN)."

I go back and forth on this. I have watched the hit a couple times and I think I've decided he went to do it, but I also think Halpern embellished the shit out of the hit. I mean he acted like he got hit by freight train, and yet was on the ice only a couple mins later. I don't think Ference should be suspended, but I do think he should get yet another fine (the first one for flipping off the Habs' fans). I could also see him getting 1 game, because of his general douchebaggery during the series.

***UPDATE***

"Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli told reporters Thursday that defenseman Andrew Ference will not be suspended for his collision with Canadiens forward Jeff Halpern in the third period of Boston's 4-3 overtime win over Montreal Wednesday (WEEI)."

Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment