Friday, April 29, 2011

Day 1 Winners and Losers


Winners:
New Orleans Saints:
Filthy draft. First the pick up DE from Cal Cameron Jordan and then they got a gift from the Patriots and selected the best RB in the draft in Mark Ingram from Alabama. They fill two holes in their roster. They strengthen their D Line and then will have a lot to work with at rb with Reggie Bush and Mark Ingram.

Carolina Panthers:
Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
I was hesitant to like this pick, but I completely flip flopped on this. I think this kid is the real deal and will win this team some ball games. He's big, athletic and has a cannon. He's not your typical athletic QB who looks to run before pass, he passes pretty well. The Panthers have a lot of holes, but their future looks brighter with Newton behind center.

Baltimore Ravens:
Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
The only reason he fell was due to off field issues, but this kid is 1A to Patrick Peterson. He's big at 6'2 and just as athletic as Peterson. The Ravens needed some defensive backfield help and got a big time player in Smith. I was really hoping he would fall to the Steelers.

Losers:
New England Patriots:
They had 2 picks to fill pretty glaring needs. I like Nate Solder the OL out of Colorado. He is huge and could be really good. Plus with Logan Mankins drama coming up and Matt Light retiring (maybe) but he's a project. Anthony Costonzo out of BC and Danny Watkins from Baylor have higher ceilings than Solder. I understand the position they pick, just not the player. I think they will really regret trading that second pick for New Orleans 2nd pick and next years 1st. They had 2 players they could have drafted that would have filled huge holes in Mark Ingram or Muhammed Wilkerson the DE from Temple. This was a big swing and miss for the Patriots and they will be haunted about this for years.

Minnesota Vikings:
With the 12th pick they select Christian Ponder. Yea.... really? I know the Vikings needed a QB but this is a reach of epic proportions. If I were to reach on a QB I would have taken Andy Dalton, Ryan Mallet and even Colin Kaepernick over Ponder. I don't get it, they could have drafted Robert Quinn the DE from UNC or Mike Pouncey the G from Florida.

San Fransisco 49ers:
I think Aldon Smith was a little high. Cam Jordan, Nick Fairley or even JJ Watt would have better selections.

No comments:

Post a Comment